What appeals to travelers who choose the bed and breakfast formula is the familiarity of hospitality, the feeling at home and immersed in the territory that you decide to visit. Obviously on the other hand, those who open a bed and breakfast should be brought to conviviality and hospitality.
This is not an accommodation service like a hotel that is more structured. The bed and breakfast forces you to open the doors of your home and if you do not do it with heart and passion or just for economic purpose, you really risk not living a good experience (as well as having invested bad time and money).
How to open a bed and breakfast?
The bed and breakfast, according to current regulations, is an activity managed by private , family-run, which provide guests with their homes and their own rooms in limited numbers.
To understand well what you are talking about, I suggest you deepen the theme immediately reading your regional law of reference (attention that each region has its own regulations !!). This law refers to the main one: Law March 29, 2001, n. 135 – “Reform of national tourism legislation” , published in the Official Gazette no. 92 of 20 April 2001.
To date, the B & B activity can also be carried out without any VAT and without registration with the Chamber of Commerce.
When you open a bed and breakfast without VAT, the proceeds will be shown in the tax return and taxed as different income, once deducted the expenses considered related to the activity (utilities, cleaning, food offered to guests, etc.).
The TAR of Lazio in 2016 (sentence No. 6755 of 13 June 2016) removed some rules that limited the occasional activity of bed and breakfast holders. Before the ruling that deregulated the activity, the regional rules required that the bed and breakfasts opened by owners without VAT were closed for a period between 90 and 120 days per year and that precise limits were respected in the minimum size of the home . The administrative court has declared these requests illegitimate, since they limit free competition.
If you want rent management to become your main job, then you will open your position as a landlord, with the consequent opening of the VAT number and registration with the Chamber of Commerce.
Whether you choose to do business in an entrepreneurial or occasional way, you will need to submit a series of documents. First of all, you will have to go to the SUAP (Single Office for Productive Activities) desk in your Municipality where you can collect the forms to be filled in for the Declaration of Begin Activities.
Once you communicate the SCIA (Certified Activity Report) the opening of your bed and breakfast is immediate. The documents that can be requested are different and always different from Region to Region, among these certainly will not lack the plan and the insurance policy to guarantee guests.
At this point you should apply to u FFICES tour of competence which officially define the classification of your business giving guidance on how to monitor guests to the public security authorities.
Each Region or Municipality, I repeat it again, has its own procedures. Keep in mind that, to date, the City can impose a fee for the investigation of the practice that varies as a cost between 30 and 160 euros.
Open a bed and breakfast: what requirements must the accommodation have?
You assume that you will host people and then you will have to submit to urban planning rules – building to ensure their safety. It must certainly be understood that your home must be in order with the connections of light, gas, etc.
Obviously not to be underestimated hygienic-sanitary norms , but synthetically the requisite requisites, even varying from region to region , are:
- 14 square meters for the double room, 8 square meters for the single;
- normally the owner of the bed and breakfast must have the residence (or the domicile during the period of opening of the bed and breakfast) in the structure. Exceptionally some Regions grant to live alongside, but with obligation of availability;
- minimum surface area of the house compared to the beds;
- limit of rooms: from a minimum of 3 to a maximum of 6, for a total of beds between 3 and 20, with large differences between region and region;
- minimum requirements for furnishing rooms: in some regions the rules require that in the rooms there are closets, bedside tables, lamps, chairs, baskets, etc .;
- autonomy by guests in being able to access the room or the toilet (which are not those used by family members);
- request for basic furnishing elements that are also necessary in bathrooms;
- the obligation of daily cleaning or indication of the cadence of the change of sheets;